Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Shinkokinshuu

Does anybody else feel pretentious writing some of their blog posts or comments? Maybe that's just me, because I keep thinking someone's going to stumble on my blog and be like what the heck is with all the poetry posts?

Tonikaku...

Shinkokinshuu 419 by The Regent Prime Minister

When the poet had a fifty-verse set of poems on "The Moon" composed for delivery at his residence.

Heedless that the moon
brings sadness enough
to this autumn night,
the wind
sighs in the pines.

This poem ticked me off a bit, but in a good way. More amusement than real anger. The author is complaining about how sad things already are because of the moon and the wind in the pines makes it that much worse. The guy is the Regent Prime Minister, like his life is so awful. He mostly likely had multiple wives and affairs going on, was well fed and didn't work much, and he's whining about the moon and the wind. I personally really love autumn nights as I stated previously and think the moon makes night all the more beautiful. That's ok, I understand that the moon was a symbol of nostalgia for them. However, the Regent Prime Minister probably had a very good life going. He was having the affairs, not the one being cheated on like another upset author I can think of. But maybe he was running low on ideas after having to write fifty sets about the moon. I would probably be disgruntled too. Still, his wounds aren't that bad so he shouldn't complain about a little salt. All in all, I thought the actual image was very pretty if a little lonesome.

2 comments:

  1. I think although he may not have had too many problems compared to other people, he felt his problems were very real. All he knew was his life of privilege and enjoying his multiple woman and all of those things, but within that life there was a sense of unhappiness. I can understand where the loneliness would come from. However, I do agree that the guy needed to kind of wake up and see that at the end of the day he probably had nothing to be complaining about.

    Michael T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, I love you. Yes, I end up feeling pretentious, too.

    I agree that he didn't have the same problems that other people had, but he probably did have his own problems. And even if he didn't, the thing about emotions is that they're not always based in something rational. So even though he may have had a lot more going for him than most people, he still probably had a list of his own problems to deal with. But yeah, I agree that I don't find that same sense of sadness with the moon on an autumn night.

    ReplyDelete